Research Fellowships and Travel Grants
Established in 2010, these funding programs award grants to scholars engaged in projects studying Congress, politics, or policy issues. While in residence, the Research Fellow and travel grant awardees will use The Dole Archive Collections, which encompass a wide range of legislative, historical, and policy issues.
Support for the Research Fellowship and travel grants is generously provided by the Friends of the Dole Institute.
The travel grant program is intended to defray costs associated with research-related travel to the Dole Institute. This program offers reimbursements of up to $750 to undergraduate and graduate students, post-doctoral researchers, and independent scholars. Awards for 2019 must be used before June 30, 2020, while 2020 awards may be used after July 1, 2020.
Recipients will be required to submit a final copy of any projects produced through the travel grant as well as submitting to the Dole Institute a 500-1000 word statement describing the research conducted here that will be used by the Dole Institute.
Applications for travel grants are reviewed on a rolling basis. There is no deadline to apply, and applications will be accepted until funds are exhausted. Applicants can expect a decision regarding their application within 2-4 weeks.
Graduate students and post-doctoral scholars are eligible to apply for this $2,500 award which will support substantial contributions to the study of Congress, politics, or policy issues on a national or international scale.
The fellow will be required to conduct research at the Dole Archives for a period of 1-3 weeks between July 1, 2020, and June 30, 2021.
In addition, the Fellow will be required to submit a final copy of projects produced through the Fellowship as well as submitting to the Dole Institute a 500-1000 word statement describing the research conducted here that will be used by the Dole Institute.
Applications for the Research Fellowship must be received in whole by the Dole Archives on or before May 31, 2020. Award notification letters will be mailed by July 1, 2020.
In order to receive full consideration proposals should demonstrate how the applicant’s research will be furthered through on-site use of the Dole Archives. Information about the archive can be obtained on the Dole Archives web site, or by contacting Sarah Gard, Senior Archivist, at email@example.com.
A completed application packet for the Dole Institute Research Fellowship or a Travel Grants must include:
- Cover sheet including your name, institutional affiliation, mailing address, email address and project title
- Whether you are applying for a Travel Grant or the Research Fellowship
- Research proposal (five page maximum) which introduces your topic of research, indicates how this research project falls within the body of historical literature, addresses specifically how the Dole Archives will be used in the course of your research, and includes possible areas of publication for your research
- Preliminary list detailing collections, series, boxes, and/or folders that you would like to consult at the Dole Archives
- One page budget outlining costs
- Resume or Curriculum Vita
- Letter of reference (can be mailed separately)
Completed application packets may be sent via mail or email to:Sarah Gard
Dole Institute of Politics
2350 Petefish Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045 firstname.lastname@example.org